Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Shreveport Personal Injury Lawyer
Free Consultation
Call Today!
Shreveport Injury Lawyer > Ruston Car Accident Lawyer

Ruston Car Accident Lawyer

If you were injured in a car crash, you are likely in a great deal of pain, unable to return to work, and you may be overwhelmed by numerous doctor’s appointments and medical bills that are piling up. If another driver’s error caused your crash, it is also natural to feel frustrated. Fortunately, the law allows you to file a claim for compensation for all of your losses. However, it is important that you do not deal with the insurance company on your own. Our Ruston car accident lawyer can negotiate for a full settlement on your behalf.

Can You File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident?

Any car accident has the potential to cause bodily injury, property damage, and emotional trauma. Ideally, the liable party will have sufficient insurance coverage. You can file a claim with the insurer and obtain compensation for all of your expenses and losses. In some cases, the insurance coverage after a crash is not enough to fully cover your expenses. This is particularly true if the accident was severe and you cannot return to work.

In these situations, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the liable party or their insurer to try and recover additional damages. While you may have the right to sue, you will have to prove several elements of your case. These are as follows:

  • The defendant had a legal obligation to act in a manner that would keep you safe,
  • The defendant failed to fulfill that legal obligation,
  • The unsafe behavior of the defendant caused an accident, and
  • You suffered injuries and other losses as a result.

Damages Available After a Car Accident

Through a personal injury claim, you can recover compensation for all of your losses. The most common of these include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Physical therapy expenses
  • Lost income, vacation pay, and other employment benefits
  • Future wages if you cannot return to the same line of work
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damage

If your loved one was killed in a car crash, the losses your family incurred may entitle you to file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you are successful with your case, you can claim other types of damages, which may include:

  • Loss of protection and support
  • Loss of the decedent’s wages that supported the family
  • Loss of consortium
  • Funeral and burial expenses

Sometimes, punitive damages are also available but these are rare. Punitive damages are not intended to help you recover your losses but instead, to punish the liable party and deter them from similar actions in the future. Punitive damages are only available when the person who caused the crash acted with gross negligence or recklessness.

Our Car Accident Lawyer in Ruston Can Help You Claim Full Damages

While you may be entitled to damages after a crash, they are not always easy to obtain. At Rice & Kendig, LLC, our Ruston car accident lawyer will communicate with the insurer on your behalf so you obtain the full and fair settlement that is justly yours. Call us now or contact us online to schedule a free case review and to learn more.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
1030 Kings Highway
Shreveport, Louisiana 71104
Office: 318-222-2772
Shreveport-Bossier City

© 2020 - 2024 Rice & Kendig, LLC. All rights reserved. This law firm
website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.