Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Shreveport Personal Injury Lawyer
Free Consultation
Call Today!
Shreveport Injury Lawyer > Shreveport Auto Accident Lawyer

Shreveport Auto Accident Lawyer

Auto accidents are among the leading causes of fatalities in the United States, with over 42,000 deaths recorded in 2022 alone, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Survivors of these accidents often endure grueling recovery periods and may even face lifelong disabilities. At Rice & Kendig, our team of Shreveport car accident attorneys understands the immense physical, emotional, and financial toll that auto accidents can take on victims and their families. That’s why we are deeply passionate about seeking justice for those who have been injured due to the negligence of others. We provide top-notch legal representation to ensure that our clients receive the compensation they deserve to fully recover. If you or a loved one has been affected by an auto accident, don’t hesitate to contact a Shreveport auto accident lawyer at 318-222-2772 to schedule a free consultation today.

Common Types of Auto Accidents in Shreveport, LA

There are many types of auto accidents that happen on Shreveport roads, with each type presenting unique challenges and risks to drivers, passengers, and pedestrians alike. From rollover accidents to T-bone collisions, rear-end crashes to devastating truck wrecks, our city’s roadways witness a diverse array of motor vehicle accidents that demand thorough legal representation and advocacy from a good car accident lawyer.

Rollover Accidents

Rollover accidents can result in severe injuries or even fatalities due to the violent nature of the crash. These accidents often occur when a vehicle loses control and tips over onto its side or roof. Factors such as high speed, sharp turns, and top-heavy vehicles can contribute to the likelihood of rollover accidents.

At Rice & Kendig, our team of dedicated Shreveport rollover accident lawyers understands how devastating these accidents can be physically, emotionally, and financially which is why we fight so hard for justice and fair compensation for our car accident victims.

T-Bone Accidents

T-bone accidents, also known as side-impact collisions, occur when the front of one vehicle crashes into the side of another vehicle, forming a “T” shape. These accidents commonly happen at intersections and can cause serious injuries, especially to occupants on the side of the vehicle that is struck. If you have suffered severe injuries as well as unmanageable medical bills and property damage, it’s crucial to reach out to a Shreveport t-bone accident lawyer at Rice & Kendig.

Rear-End Collisions

Rear-end collisions occur when one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle. These accidents can range from minor fender-benders to more serious crashes resulting in whiplash, spinal injuries, or traumatic brain injuries. The Shreveport rear-end collision lawyers at our law firm have extensive experience in helping injury victims recover the damages they deserve either through an insurance claim or a car accident claim.

Trucking Accidents

Trucking accidents pose a significant threat on Shreveport roads due to the sheer size and weight of these vehicles. It’s very common for semi truck wrecks to lead to catastrophic outcomes, such as life-changing injuries and disabilities or even wrongful death, especially when they collide with much smaller vehicles.

Truck accident claims can be more complicated than other types of auto accident claims for many reasons. For example, multiple parties are often involved in truck accidents – such as the truck driver, manufacturer, cargo loader, etc – so proving percentages of negligence can be very complicated especially without the legal counsel of a Shreveport truck accident lawyer. Additionally, big truck companies often have big insurance policies, which can make it nearly impossible for injured victims to receive the compensation they deserve. For these reasons and more, it’s crucial to contact a Shreveport personal injury attorney at Rice & Kendig to ensure you obtain the best possible car accident case outcome.

Tractor Trailer Jackknife Accidents

Jackknife accidents occur when the trailer of a semi-truck swings out to form a 90-degree angle with the cab, resembling the shape of a folding pocket knife. Jackknife accidents are exceptionally dangerous due to the unpredictability of the trailer’s movement, often blocking multiple lanes of traffic and involving multiple vehicles in the collision. The size and weight of tractor-trailers exacerbate the severity of these accidents, increasing the risk of catastrophic injuries and fatalities for all involved.

At Rice & Kendig, our team of Shreveport tractor trailer jackknife accident attorneys has decades of combined experience in handling these types of auto accidents. We will advocate for the rights of these injured victims and make sure they receive the compensation they need to make a full recovery.

Bicycle Accidents

Shreveport-Bossier’s growing emphasis on bike-friendly infrastructure over the last decade has naturally led to an increase in bicycle accidents. Collisions between bicycles and motor vehicles can lead to severe injuries for cyclists, including broken bones, head injuries, and internal organ damage. For more information on whether or not you have grounds to file a personal injury claim, don’t hesitate to reach out to Shreveport bicycle accident lawyers at Rice & Kendig today.

Pedestrian Accidents

Pedestrian accidents occur when a motor vehicle collides with a pedestrian, often resulting in devastating injuries or fatalities. In urban areas like Shreveport, pedestrian accidents can happen at intersections, crosswalks, or even in parking lots.

If you’re a pedestrian who has suffered catastrophic injuries due to a negligent driver, you have grounds to contact a Shreveport pedestrian accident lawyer and file a claim.

Motorcycle Accidents

Motorcycle accidents pose a significant risk to riders due to the lack of protection offered by motorcycles compared to enclosed vehicles. These accidents can result in severe injuries such as road rash, fractures, and even spinal cord injuries and paralysis. Allow a Shreveport motorcycle accident lawyer to review your injury case and help you determine what your legal options are.

Drunk Driving Accidents

Drunk driving accidents in Shreveport pose a dual threat, both in terms of criminal repercussions and civil liability. Beyond the obvious legal consequences of facing criminal charges for driving under the influence, individuals who choose to operate a vehicle while intoxicated also expose themselves to potential civil lawsuits. Victims of drunk driving accidents and their families have the legal right to pursue compensation for their injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering through civil litigation.

At Rice & Kendig, our team of experienced Shreveport drunk driving accident attorneys is dedicated to holding drunk drivers accountable for the harm they cause and fighting tirelessly to secure justice and compensation for those who have been injured or tragically lost loved ones due to their reckless actions.

Distracted Driving Accidents

From texting and talking on the phone to adjusting navigation systems or even eating food while driving, there are numerous forms of distracted driving that can compromise a driver’s attention and reaction time. These distractions divert attention away from the road, significantly increasing the risk of accidents and endangering the lives of drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and cyclists alike. The consequences of distracted driving accidents can be devastating, resulting in severe injuries, fatalities, and lifelong disabilities.

If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries or wrongful death due to a distracted driver, don’t hesitate to reach out to Shreveport distracted driving accident lawyers at Rice & Kendig.

Uninsured Driver Accidents

When an uninsured driver is at fault for an accident, recovering compensation can become exceedingly complicated, particularly if the injured party does not already have supplemental uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Without this coverage, victims may find themselves facing significant financial burdens, including medical bills, vehicle repairs, and lost wages, with limited avenues for recourse. In such circumstances, it is crucial to seek the guidance of experienced Shreveport uninsured driver accident attorneys who can navigate the complexities of uninsured driver claims and advocate vigorously for the rights of the injured.

Common Types of Auto Accident Injuries

Auto accidents in Shreveport can result in a wide range of injuries, varying in severity from minor to life-threatening. Some of the most common types of car accident injuries include:

  • Whiplash: Whiplash occurs when the head and neck are suddenly jerked forward and then backward, causing soft tissue damage to the neck muscles and ligaments.
  • Broken Bones: Fractures are common in car accidents and can affect any bone in the body, including the arms, legs, ribs, and spine.
  • Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): Head injuries such as concussions and TBIs can occur when the head strikes an object or is violently shaken during a collision, leading to cognitive impairment and other neurological symptoms. It’s important for these injured victims to reach out to a Shreveport brain injury lawyer to ensure they receive the compensation they need to make a full recovery.
  • Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can result in partial or complete paralysis, depending on the location and severity of the injury. A Shreveport spine injury lawyer can advocate for you and help you recover damages for medical bills, physical therapy bills, pain and suffering, and more.
  • Internal Organ Damage: Blunt force trauma from the impact of a car accident can cause damage to internal organs such as the liver, spleen, kidneys, and lungs, leading to internal bleeding and other complications.
  • Burns and Lacerations: Burns can occur from contact with hot surfaces or fires in the vehicle, while lacerations are caused by sharp objects or broken glass during the collision.
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): The psychological impact of being involved in a traumatic auto accident can lead to symptoms of PTSD, including flashbacks, nightmares, and anxiety.

These injuries can have long-lasting physical, emotional, and financial consequences for victims and their families, underscoring the importance of seeking prompt medical attention and legal representation from our Shreveport car accident lawyers after a crash.

What to Do After an Auto Accident in Shreveport, LA

Being involved in an auto accident in Shreveport can be a stressful and overwhelming experience, but knowing what steps to take in the immediate aftermath can help protect your well-being and legal rights. Here are a few essential steps to take:

Call 911

The first priority after an auto accident is to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Immediately dial 911 to report the accident and request emergency medical assistance if anyone is injured. Promptly notifying the authorities ensures that the scene is documented in police reports and that necessary medical help arrives quickly.

Get to Safety

If it is safe to do so, move vehicles out of the flow of traffic to prevent further accidents. Use hazard lights, cones, or flares to warn approaching vehicles of the accident scene. However, prioritize safety and avoid moving anyone who is seriously injured unless there is an immediate threat to their safety, such as a fire.

Exchange Information

Exchange contact and insurance information with the other parties involved in the accident. Be sure to write down names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance policy details from all drivers. Additionally, gather contact information from any witnesses who observed the accident.

Gather Witness Statements

Obtain statements from witnesses who observed the accident. Witness testimony can provide valuable insight into the events leading up to the collision and help establish liability. Collect their names, contact information, and a brief account of what they saw.

Document the Accident Scene

Take photographs of the accident scene from various angles, capturing any relevant evidence such as vehicle damage, skid marks, road conditions, traffic signs, and any visible injuries. This documentation serves as crucial evidence for insurance claims and potential legal proceedings.

Seek Medical Attention

Even if you’re in a fairly minor car accident and you don’t believe you have sustained serious injuries, it is essential to seek medical attention promptly. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal trauma, may not be immediately apparent after a motor vehicle accident but can worsen over time if left untreated. A thorough medical evaluation ensures that any injuries are properly diagnosed and treated. Not only that, but medical records can strengthen your car accident case, ensuring that you receive proper compensation for your suffering.

Call a Shreveport Car Accident Lawyer

It’s crucial for injury victims to contact an experienced attorney immediately after your accident is crucial. A Shreveport personal injury attorney can protect your legal rights, gather evidence to support your claim, and negotiate with insurance adjusters on your behalf. Our guidance and advocacy can significantly increase your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries and damages.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Notify your own insurance company (and the other driver’s insurance company if they are at fault) of the accident as soon as possible. Provide them with the necessary details, including the date, time, and location of the accident, as well as the names and contact information of the other parties involved. However, refrain from providing a recorded statement or an admission of fault to your insurance adjuster until you have consulted with your attorney. Your car accident lawyer can help you navigate the insurance claims process and ensure that your rights are protected throughout.

Determining Liability in an Auto Accident Claim

Determining liability in a car accident claim is crucial for seeking compensation for injuries and damages. Several factors come into play when assigning fault, including traffic laws, evidence from the accident scene, witness statements, and the actions of each party involved. In Louisiana, liability is determined based on the principles of comparative negligence, which assesses each party’s degree of fault in causing the accident. Understanding the legal framework surrounding liability is essential for navigating the claims process effectively and ensuring that your rights are protected.

At-Fault States vs. No Fault States

In the United States, states are typically categorized as either at-fault states or no-fault states regarding auto insurance laws. In at-fault states, the driver responsible for causing the accident is liable for the resulting injuries and damages. Conversely, in no-fault states, each party’s insurance company covers their own medical expenses and damages, regardless of fault. Understanding the classification of your state can influence how you approach an auto accident claim and the legal principles that govern it.

Is Louisiana an At- Fault State?

Yes, Louisiana operates under an at-fault system for auto insurance, meaning that if the other driver’s negligence caused the accident, then the other driver’s insurance company is the one that’s supposed to cover the victim’s damages. This places a significant emphasis on determining liability and establishing the negligent actions that led to the collision. Seeking legal guidance from our experienced car accident lawyers is crucial to accurately establish fault in a car accident claim. We can advocate for your rights and ensure you receive a just settlement amount from the at fault driver that covers your medical bills, property damage, lost wages, and more.

Pure Comparative Negligence in Louisiana

Louisiana follows a pure comparative negligence rule when determining liability in a car accident claim. This legal principle allows each party involved in the accident to be assigned a percentage of fault based on their actions leading up to the collision.

For example, suppose Driver A is found to be 70% at fault for running a red light, while Driver B is found to be 30% at fault for speeding. If Driver B suffers $100,000 in damages, their recovery would be reduced by their percentage of fault, resulting in a final compensation of $70,000. Even if a car accident victim is partially at fault for the accident, they may still be entitled to recover damages, albeit at a reduced amount proportional to their level of fault.

Understanding how pure comparative negligence applies to specific cases is crucial for effectively navigating auto accident claims in Louisiana and ensuring that injured parties receive fair compensation for their losses.

Personal Injury Claim Damages

When pursuing a personal injury claim in Shreveport, Louisiana, it’s essential to understand the various types of damages that may be available to compensate you for your losses. Damages in personal injury cases can generally be categorized into two main types: economic damages and non-economic damages.

Economic Damages

Economic damages refer to the tangible financial losses incurred as a result of the accident. These damages are quantifiable and can be easily calculated based on actual expenses and financial records. Common examples of economic damages include:

  • Medical Bills: This includes costs related to hospitalization, surgery, medication, rehabilitation, therapy, and any other necessary medical treatment for physical injuries.
  • Lost Wages: If the injury prevents you from working or requires time off for recovery, you may be entitled to compensation for lost wages and income.
  • Property Damage: This covers the cost of repairing or replacing damaged property, such as your vehicle or personal belongings.
  • Funeral and Burial Expenses: If the auto accident results in wrongful death, then the surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim to cover expenses for the funeral and burial. For more information on the types of damages you can recover in a wrongful death claim, don’t hesitate to contact Shreveport wrongful death lawyers today.

Non-Economic Damages

Non-economic damages, on the other hand, refer to the intangible losses that do not have a specific monetary value but still have a significant impact on your life. These damages are often more subjective and may vary depending on the circumstances of the case. Common examples of non-economic damages include:

  • Pain and Suffering: This encompasses physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish experienced as a result of the accident and resulting injuries.
  • Loss of Enjoyment of Life: If the injuries limit your ability to participate in activities you once enjoyed or diminish your overall quality of life, you may be entitled to compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life.
  • Loss of Consortium: This refers to the negative impact the injuries have on your relationship with your spouse or family members, including loss of companionship, affection, and support.

Understanding the full scope of economic and non-economic damages available in a personal injury claim is essential for accurately assessing the value of your case and ensuring that you receive fair compensation for your losses. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the complexities of damages calculations and advocate for your rights throughout the claims process.

How Long Does it Take to Get an Auto Accident Settlement?

The main question that many car accident victims ask us is: how long does it take to get a settlement check?

The timeline for receiving an auto accident settlement can vary significantly depending on various factors unique to each case. Factors such as the severity of the crash, the extent of injuries sustained, and whether litigation is necessary all play a significant role in determining the length of time it takes to reach a fair settlement. In most cases, accident victims can expect to receive their settlement check within 9 months to 1 year after the accident. However, this timeline is not set in stone and may be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances of the case. Consulting with a Shreveport auto accident lawyer can provide you with a more accurate assessment of the timeline for your specific situation, as they can evaluate the complexities of your case and provide guidance on the expected duration of the claims process.

Why You Need a Shreveport Auto Accident Attorney on Your Side

Having a Shreveport personal injury lawyer on your side can be invaluable in navigating the complexities of an auto accident claim and ensuring that your rights are protected. Here’s why you need experienced legal representation after an auto accident:

  • Legal Expertise: Personal injury lawyers have in-depth knowledge of state laws, insurance regulations, and the legal process related to personal injury claims.
  • Investigation: Auto accident attorneys can conduct thorough investigations into the accident, gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and reconstructing the events leading up to the collision.
  • Negotiation: Our Shreveport car accident lawyers are skilled negotiators who can effectively communicate with insurance companies on your behalf, advocating for fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
  • Litigation: If negotiations fail to reach a satisfactory settlement, an experienced personal injury lawyer can represent you in court and litigate your case to seek maximum compensation.
  • Peace of Mind: Having an experienced lawyer handle your case allows you to focus on your recovery and peace of mind, knowing that your legal matters are in capable hands.

Whether you’ve been injured in a minor fender-bender or a severe collision, having a Shreveport auto accident attorney by your side can make all the difference in obtaining the compensation you deserve and moving forward with your life.

Call Shreveport Auto Accident Lawyers at Rice & Kendig Today

​​If you’ve been injured in an auto accident in Shreveport, don’t wait to seek the legal representation you deserve. The experienced Shreveport auto accident lawyers at our law firm are here to provide you with compassionate support and aggressive advocacy every step of the way. With our extensive knowledge and proven track record of success in handling complex auto accident claims, you can trust that we will fight tirelessly to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve from insurance adjusters and the other driver.

Don’t face the aftermath of an auto accident alone. Call our Shreveport legal team today at 318-222-2772 to schedule a free consultation and take the first step towards securing the justice and financial recovery you are entitled to. We work on a contingency fee basis, so we don’t get paid until you get paid.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
1030 Kings Highway
Shreveport, Louisiana 71104
Office: 318-222-2772
Shreveport-Bossier City

© 2020 - 2024 Rice & Kendig, LLC. All rights reserved. This law firm
website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.