Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Shreveport Personal Injury Lawyer
Free Consultation
Call Today!

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do after an accident?

Do I need a lawyer for my case?

How do I pay for a lawyer?

How do I pay for medical bills?

Q: How will I pay your fee and how much will it cost to have an initial consultation?

A: We offer a free initial consultation to evaluate and determine if we can help you under the facts and circumstances of your claim. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us nothing if we do not make recovery for you.

Q: Can I afford to hire an attorney?

A: Yes. We handle personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. We are paid a percentage of the settlement or judgment at the end of the case. This means that we do not require payment until your case settles or you receive a final judgment from the court. To put it simply, you pay us nothing if we do not make recovery for you.

Q: Should I negotiate or speak with an insurance adjuster before hiring an attorney?

A: No. Insurance adjusters are professionals trained to save the insurance company money and minimize your claim. Before speaking to an insurance claim adjuster, call an attorney and make sure you know your rights.  Since we offer a free consultation, you risk nothing speaking with us first.

Q: How much is my case worth?

A: A true estimate of your case’s worth cannot be determined until you have finished medical treatment or maximized your recovery. The value of your claim will be based on the following factors: Past and future medical expenses, past and future pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of enjoyment of life, lost wages and future lost earning capacity, disfigurement, disability, loss of consortium as well as the nature, extent and duration of your injuries.  Rice & Kendig has evaluated cases for settlement and tried cases to judgment and verdict for over 30 years. We will bring that experience to the table when it comes time to evaluate your case. Our only job is to maximize your recovery.

Q: Can I get a rental car?

A: Yes. If you were the owner and operator of your vehicle at the time of the wreck, once insurance is confirmed, we will cover the cost of a rental car, and submit the bill to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Q: Do you help with the property damage to my car?

A: Yes. If your vehicle is repairable, we will make sure your vehicle is repaired at a qualified body shop and the insurance company pays for all related repairs. If your vehicle is a total loss, we will evaluate the insurance company’s offer and hire an independent appraiser when necessary to make sure the offer is fair to you.

Q: How long will it take to settle or resolve my case?

A: Every case is different and has its own unique set of facts. Some cases are resolved in a matter of months while others, where serious injury occurs or fault is contested may take longer. Our firm will take every step to ensure that you receive a just and speedy resolution of your claim.

Q: How will I pay my medical bills while my case is pending?

A: This is a question we will work with you to answer. If you have health insurance, the Balanced Billing Act requires health providers to accept your insurance, just as they would if you didn’t have a wreck-related injury. We can also send letters of guarantee, which some health providers will accept and will wait for payment until your case is settled. We can also help with medical payments when appropriate. If you are concerned about how you will pay your medical bills, give Rice & Kendig a call.

Q: How long do I have to file an injury lawsuit?

A: Please don’t wait until the last minute, but you have up to one year from the date of your accident to file suit. Keep in mind that many important decisions need to take place in the first year of your case. In fact, many cases can be settled within the first year. The sooner you call Rice & Kendig, the sooner we can get started on your case. Other deadlines apply to other types of cases.

Q: Will I have to go to court?

A: The best answer is- maybe. The decision to file suit or go to trial is one that will be made together with you based on the facts of your case. Suit is filed in some cases when the insurance company refuses to fully pay you for all of your losses. Settlement may still be possible even after suit is filed. We are experienced trial attorneys, so if your case must go to trial, we will be ready.

Q: What if I can’t come to your office?

A: If you can’t come to our office, we can come to you. We also offer free telephone consultations if that is more convenient for you. If you are calling from out of state, we can also use Zoom and email instead of meeting face to face. Rice & Kendig will work with you to ensure you have access to experienced representation.

Q: Will my insurance rates go up if I pursue a claim?

A: The law is very clear; an insurance company cannot raise your rates when you are not at fault. If you are not at fault and you make a claim for medical payments or uninsured motorist payments, the insurance company cannot raise your rates for filing a claim.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
1030 Kings Highway
Shreveport, Louisiana 71104
Office: 318-222-2772
Shreveport-Bossier City

© 2020 - 2024 Rice & Kendig, LLC. All rights reserved. This law firm
website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.