Webster Parish Auto Accident Lawyer
Car accidents can happen in an instant. Many victims have no idea who or what is to blame, but they find themselves in the hospital in incredible pain. At Rice & Kendig, LLC, our lawyers can handle your claim and find the best evidence to prove who was at fault. We will also aggressively negotiate a favorable settlement that should cover all your losses. Please contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our Webster Parish auto accident lawyers.
How to Determine Fault in a Webster Parish Car Accident
Louisiana remains a “fault” state when it comes to car accidents. To receive compensation, our clients must show that someone else’s negligence contributed to their wreck. In practice, we usually point to some traffic safety law that another driver violated or else show how their conduct was unacceptably careless.
In our experience, most accidents are caused by:
- Running a red light
- Failure to yield
- Driving on the sidewalk or into a crowd
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Drag racing
- Chemical impairment, such as drugs or alcohol
- Driver fatigue
- Distraction, such as cell phone use
Louisiana operates under a comparative negligence scheme, so the other driver’s negligence will be compared to your own. So long as the other driver is at least a little bit to blame, you can sue. However, the amount of money you receive will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
Compensation for Your Injuries
When a negligent or reckless driver hurts you, they should pay compensation in the form of money damages. Our clients can receive damages for such losses as:
- Medical care to treat injuries, including the cost of surgery, rehab, prescription drugs, and future medical care
- Lost income or lost wages, including lost future income for permanent disabilities
- Property damage, such as the cost of repairing your wrecked car
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress or mental anguish
In serious accidents, a victim might be so injured that the marital relationship is impaired. If so, a spouse has his or her own claim for loss of consortium.
If a drunk driver struck you, we can also seek punitive damages. They are awarded to punish the defendant and deter him from future bad conduct. Our clients have sought punitive damages in addition to their compensatory ones listed above.
Misconceptions about Webster Parish Auto Accident Cases
There is a lot of wrong information on the internet and, unfortunately, too many people labor under misconceptions about their rights following a wreck. For example:
- Myth #1: You don’t have to call the police following a crash. Wrong! You absolutely should call and report all accidents, no matter how minor. Let the police decide whether to send an officer out to the crash.
- Myth #2: You can handle your claim on your own. In reality, insurers would like nothing better than for victims to represent themselves. You can expect them to offer pennies for a settlement.
- Myth #3: You have as much time as you need to file a lawsuit. Actually, Louisiana gives victims one year from the date of the crash. There might be some exceptions to this harsh rule, but don’t count on them.
Give Our Webster Parish Auto Accident Lawyers a Call Today
We can spring into action to represent you, so please schedule a free consultation by calling today. Because of the tight deadlines mentioned above, please avoid delay.