Bossier Parish Truck Accident Lawyer
Commercial trucks are critical to the economy in Bossier Parish, and throughout all of Louisiana. However, these trucks can get into an accident just like any other vehicle. Unlike other vehicles though, when a truck is involved in a crash, those in smaller vehicles always sustain the worst injuries. Trucks are also governed differently than other vehicles and must follow both state and federal laws.
You can still file a claim against a negligent party after a truck accident, but you should always work with a Bossier Parish truck accident lawyer that can help. These claims are incredibly complex and a lawyer will guide you through the process.
How are Truck Accidents Different from Car Accidents?
It is easy to think that truck accidents are the same as car accidents, but that is not true. Crashes involving trucks are vastly different than those involving two passenger cars and those differences include:
- Severity of injuries: Trucks are much heavier and larger than smaller vehicles. When they crash into passenger vehicles, they cause much more damage and the injuries accident victims sustain are much more severe.
- Liability: When two small vehicles are in an accident together, it is typically one of the drivers of those vehicles that is at fault. In a truck accident, however, there are many potential liable parties and some may not have even been at the scene.
- Multiple insurance companies: Due to the fact that truck accidents can involve multiple liable parties, there are also often multiple insurance companies involved. Dealing with these insurers is incredibly difficult, as each will try to pass off liability on the other.
- Different laws: Truck drivers must follow state laws when they are on the road, but federal law also heavily regulates the trucking industry. For example, drivers must comply with the hours of service rule, and trucking companies must properly maintain their trucks.
All of these differences make truck accident claims much more complex, which is why it is so important to work with a lawyer when filing your claim.
Liability in a Truck Accident
You may assume that the truck driver is at fault for the accident immediately afterwards, but that is not necessarily the case. Many other parties can be at fault for a truck accident and these potentially liable parties are as follows:
- The trucking company
- The inspection and maintenance company
- The cargo-loading company
- Vehicle or parts manufacturers
- The truck driver
- Another driver
Determining liability after a truck accident is one of the most difficult aspects of these types of claims. A Bossier Parish truck accident lawyer will have the experience necessary to determine liability so you recover the damages you deserve.
Our Louisiana Truck Accidents Lawyers Can Help with Your Case
If you or someone you love has been in a truck accident, do not file a claim on your own. At Rice & Kendig, our Bossier Parish truck accident lawyers can determine who was at fault for your crash and help you recover the maximum damages you deserve. Call us today at 318-222-2772 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.